Monday, March 10, 2008

The Weekend

I met with Brianna Friday afternoon. (What a long week!) Brianna and I went out to eat with some of her former classmates. I have found that my comprehension is better than my speaking skills. I can follow a conversation far easier than trying to contribute, other than laughing at what is going on. We ran into one of Bri's roommates, Molly and her brother, Ben on the way to lunch. So, we all ate lunch together. I wish I could remember what I ate. It was good, nonetheless. Anyways, we went out for coffee near Ewha. I got a 스트라배리 브리자드 (strawberry blizzard), which was mighty tasty.

Molly, Bri, and I went to Insadong to go shopping.


We saw dragon's beard candy (video above) and spaghetti being made from scratch.

It was sweeeet. There also was a Starbuck's, which was spelled in Hangul on the storefront. It's the only Starbuck's in Korea not to have the Latin alphabet. It's something to do with Insadong being extremely traditional, and the only way for the coffee place to come in was to do it this way.

Later, Bri and I met lots of her friends who are Korean-adopted. We ate delicious hamburgers at Smokey's Saloon. Then, we went to another restaurant, which I can't remember the name of. Go figure. Soju was ridiculously cheap. Anyways, after that, I split a cab with Marie. The cab driver asked me where I was from "Japan, China..." I told him that I was American, and he became totally confused. He said that I look really Korean. After that, I gave up on trying to explain.

Saturday, I went to a GOAL (global overseas adoptees' link) meeting at the Sofitel Ambassador's Hotel. I met tons of Korean-adoptees from all over the world. The meeting was kind of boring, but afterwards was open buffet and bar. I went with two girls, Janna and Lotta, from my Korean class. It made for an interesting night. Janna is a Korean-adoptee from Colorado. Lotta is married to a Korean-adoptee from Norway. I have no idea who this dude is.

Last night, JongWoo, Aeryoung, Simon, and I ordered pizza. I wish I would have taken a picture. One was a seafood pizza and the other was chicken with spinach. Both were delicious. As you may have noticed, I really don't dislike much of the food here. There was kimbop with little fish in it that freaked me out, but other than that, I have enjoyed everything thus far.

No comments: