Saturday, November 8, 2008

Holiday, Election, Mathematics

Halloween has come and gone. Unfortunately, Korea does not really have pumpkin patches or apple tree farms. So, I missed out on carving jack-o-lanterns, drinking hot cider, and trick-or-treating this year. Luckily, Simon knew that I wanted a jack-o-lantern and he did the best he could. We're not allowed to have candles in the dorm, so he put his cell phone in it for a while to light it up^^ I think it's creative!
On more historically, monumental note, Barack Obama is the new president-elect. All of the Europeans are happy with this, for the obvious reasons. This was the first presidential election that I voted in, and I voted by absentee ballot. I am rather proud to say that I am a part of the amazing history taking place. This is the extent of my political views.


Also, I have a math project to do with 4 other Korean girls. We have to write an 8-10 page paper about factorization methods, Fermat numbers, and the Pollard rho method. You know about these topics? Then, we have to make a 10 minute power point presentation in front of the class, where 2 of us speak about our respective topics (in English). When this project was announced, I had to face that I going to present, no matter whose group I am in, because I am the only native English speaker in the class. At first, I dreaded writing the paper, because I would have to teach myself the material. However, it's not as difficult as I thought it might be. Last night, I sat in the computer lab and created some sweet excel files. I plug certain numbers into the cells, and it does all the work for me. I love Excel!

No comments: